What’s The Best Tradespeople Referral Site?
As a trades person, finding work isn’t always easy. With so many independent traders around, the competition is fierce, and it is vital you are looking in the right place for jobs. Whether you are a builder, gardener, plumber or electrician, tradesperson referral sites are likely to be on your radar. If you’ve never used one of these sites before, it can be difficult to know where to start. With so many referral sites out there, choosing one to invest in is often a struggle.
We have previously looked into popular websites such as Rated People and MyBuilder on this blog post, but now we are taking a more in-depth look into all the main trader referral sites available.
How Do Tradespeople Get Work?
There are many ways you can come across work as a trades person, including word of mouth, social media and your own website. However, tradespeople referral sites are becoming increasingly popular. They allow customers to leave reviews and feedback on your previous jobs, for future potential clients to see. Not only that, but customers can post a job and wait for quotes from tradespeople to come to them, making it an easier option for them.
Referral sites help customers to choose reputable traders and avoid scammers while also helping tradespeople grow and promote their business. There are many of these referral sites available today, including CheckATrade, TrustATrader, MyBuilder and many more. Investing in all of them isn’t always the best option for finding work, so choosing just one to start with is a better idea.
Which Is The Best Trades Website?
We know that choosing just one Trades referral website isn’t easy, especially when they all have their advantages. Here are some of the top referral websites around today;
- CheckATrade: CheckATrade is one of the very first trade referral websites and has been going since 1998. It has built an excellent reputation of its own among customers and traders alike. Its central ethos is helping customers find reliable and talented tradespeople, and it makes its revenue from the traders.
You need to pay a monthly fee to be vetted and then listed on the website, and from then on, you can receive leads for available jobs. After a job, customers are highly encouraged to leave a review which is excellent for growing reputation. Because CheckATrade is consumer-focused, and they spend a lot of effort and money on advertising to customers, they are an excellent option for traders looking for work.
- TrustATrader: Similarly to CheckATrade, TrustATrader’s primary focus is vetting traders and listing them for customers to find. Again, this referral site is customer-focused and helps make hiring traders easier for the consumer.
While it is similar to CheckATrade, some added bonuses are the ability to take card payments from customers without monthly fees, and a limited membership in each area. This reduces the amount of competition and likeliness to get jobs.
- RatedPeople: Unlike the first two sites we have looked at, RatedPeople focuses on traders as opposed to consumers. Because of this, there is a low monthly fee to list, and you only need to pay for the leads you want to follow up.
Customers must provide a lot of details about the job, so quoting is made more manageable, and there is a limit of only three traders for each job. This massively cuts down on the competition and less time wasted sending quotes to people who are being inundated.
- MyBuilder: MyBuilder works in a very similar way to RatedPeople; however, they take a lot fewer details about a job. Customers need to fill out a straightforward form, and the job is live for traders to quote on. This can mean there are more jobs to find, but at the same time, the quality of the leads is often lower.
Which Is Better CheckATrade or TrustATrader?
CheckATrade and TrustATrader are both very similar models and websites, making choosing between them difficult. CheckATrade has a more prominent reputation and has been around for longer. They spend large amounts of money on advertising and attract a lot of customers.
On the other hand, TrustATrader does offer some additional benefits to CheckATrade, such as limited tradespeople in each area and card payments. For those who want to generate many leads and are happy to quote for a large number of jobs with high competition, CheckATrade is an excellent choice because of its popularity among consumers. However, if you want to limit your admin time, focusing on quality leads, TrustATrader may be a better option for you.
How Much Do Trade Referral sites Cost?
Each of these referral websites has different costings, and they should be carefully considered before you choose one to work with. The costs for each are;
- CheckATrade: Becoming a member of CheckATrade costs between £69.99+VAT and £119.99+VAT per month. This price will vary depending on the trade category and type of contract.
- TrustATrader: Because TrustATrader limits the number of tradespeople in each area, you must apply to become a member. Their membership costs are not published and subject to change depending on your trade and location.
- RatedPeople: With RatedPeople, you must pay a monthly fee of £15 and also a small cost for every lead you want to quote for. For every month you pay the fee, RatedPeople will give you some credits which can be used for leads.
- MyBuilder: MyBuilder is free to join and list on, and you can send introductory messaged to customers for free as well. If a customer shortlists your services, then a small fee is charged before contact details are exchanged. These fees vary between £2 and £35 and are based on the size of the job.
Is MyBuilder Reliable?
MyBuilder often looks like a good choice for tradespeople because of their low fees model and the fact they are more trader focused. The service is reasonably reliable for tradespeople to use, but there is no guarantee that work will be found. Because customers only need to complete a short form for each job, there can often be an abundance of jobs that never materialise, or don’t provide enough information.
How Do I Become CheckATrade Approved?
If you decide to list your services on CheckATrade, then you first need to be approved by the website. Their staff will need to meet with you and have a quick interview, in which they will check various details in order to approve your membership. To become approved, you will need:
- Qualifications to prove you can complete your trade.
- Relevant insurance, including public liability and employer’s liability, if required.
- Utility bills to confirm your address.
- Photo ID.
- Grant permission for them to speak with trading standards about your company.
- References from five previous customers.
- Sign the code of ethics and conduct.
- Pass a credit check for limited companies.
Which Is The Best Trade Referral Site For You?
While all Trades referral sites are there to help you generate leads and find work, the fact that they all work in different ways, with varying models of pricing means not all of them will be right for your business. Consider how your business operates, the types of client and jobs you want to attract, and the time you can afford to dedicate to the admin involved in being an active site user. From there, it will soon become clear which is the best Trades site for you.
Workforce is a real-time management solution for Field Service & Service Management businesses. Whether you have a small mobile team of five field workers or a large enterprise with hundreds of field staff, Workforce field service management software makes your job simple.
Increase productivity, reduce paperwork and save admin time with our easy to use field service software for both the office and your fieldworkers. Why not sign-up for a free trial today?